ACLU Minutes 11/6/13:
1. ALL About Therapy- A Panel Discussion hosted by Mental Health Alliance is being held Tonight (11/7) from 8-9 in SCC 217
2. RSVP BY MIDNIGHT TONIGHT (11/7) for FIRE/WET event being held on Nov. 19th at 6-8:30 in Sun Valley, California (We will be leaving Claremont around 4pm).
a. Email Carol Ann (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you want to come
b. event hosted by FIRE (Foundation for Individual Rights in Education)
c. book signing/cocktail party for Greg Lukianoff
d. great opportunity if you are looking to do any activism/have any ideas related to first amendment rights
3. Nourish- social advocacy and community development club, targeting poverty is having a Jamboree Saturday, November 9, from 7-9 pm.
a. brings together different social justice clubs on campus w/ a keynote speaker
b. FREE FOOD, including CHALLAH!
4. PO advocates- want us to contribute to their anti-racist training on November 23.
a. We moved to give them money. I am going to give them $100 unless someone else has strong objections.
5. Follow up with Dixie about Organizing for Action.
a. I am going to meet with her again and discuss how ACLU and OFA can be more involved with one another.
b. if you’d liked to get more involved with OFA as an individual, Dixie’s contact info is Dixie.Morrison31@gmail.com.
6. Panel Discussion on economic inequality in the US
a. This is to be our big topic for next semester and this is to be the first item on that subject next semester
b. this is a broader discussion, and Nick Sundback at Pomona has been really helpful/enthusiastic about it, see article he’s written on same subject here: http://claremontprogressive.com/2013/10/17/look-before-you-leap-understanding-finance-talk-in-claremont/
c. tentative date is Tuesday or Wednesday Jan 28th or 29th